Death Dealer Mercenaries

MW:LL beta impressions...

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
DDM_Auger
Leutnant
Leutnant
5563 Points

USA US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 am   Post subject:  MW:LL beta impressions... Back to top 

I LIKE IT!
Great potential! SWEEET graphics!
Lottsa long range fights and brawling.
+1 The combined arms aspect is SOOOOOO cool!! Having air cover and vtol/armor is a BT Mech pilot's dream.
+1 all 1st person. No frikken 3d pv pop tarts that ruined mw4!
+1 weapon/damage balance...no real uber platform/component at the moment. AND with the first patch it seems like the devs are trying to keep and maintain that.
+1 being able to jump from your crit damaged prime mover and fight on as a battle armor

downside??

-1 it's only a beta ... so far Smile
SOOO I guess that is a -1/+1 or a neutral grade since it will only get better.
-1 No joystick support, at least not that I've been able to get working. Nuff said.
-1 field of view from the cockpit is verrrrry limited on some mechs. I mean, I don't expect 3d pv, but side windows are there, give us a look left/look right option...
-1 torso twist is jumpy and hard to manage/aim with(which may improve with a joystick). In an era using fly by body and brain impulse, the controls need to be more stabilized and smooth.

Tons of other +'s not too many more -'s, though.

Anyone else??

[img][/img]
Download Post  No rating  
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:47 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I have posted my impressions a few times... but I can sum them up by saying that if you judge it for what it is, rather than what it's missing, it's an excellent game. What impresses me most about the game is the depth of the list of features we expect, or have always requested from a Mechwarrrior game. The only thing it's really missing is you guys. Wink

Here's hoping joystick support gets better soon. As it is, it's really close to working, but there are a few issues that really just handicap you if you choose joystick over keyboard and mouse. After playing for a few weeks, I don't know if I will even want to switch to joystick after they get it working right. Aiming with the mouse is just so much more precise. I'm thinking about programming just the throttle side of an x52 to use along with the mouse.

I have been messing with the map editor a little bit too. It's pretty cool that the tools are available to let the community make maps... I'm sure quality will vary, but at least some of them will be good. Between that and high end graphics specs, the game could have a lot of long term playability... at least until we get the new Mechwarrrior game.

The combined arms aspect of the game is great. I still tend to spend most of my time in a mech, but I like the tanks and battle armor combat too. I haven't bothered to learn to fly yet. I wasn't good at it right away so I gave up. I would like to see mechs last a little longer against other types of vehicles, but I also understand that in Battletech there are 100 ton tanks as well as mechs. I'm sure everyone would like to see their vehicle of choice get a boost... but mechs are the main event. They should be able to ignore a single BA for a while. I haven't played today, but patch-notes look like it may have already been balanced in that direction.

Now that someone else outside of my house has the game, I'll try to remember to get on comms when I am playing. Some servers give us issues connecting all from the same IP address. Not sure why, and I haven't been able to find any info on this issue with Crysis. Some servers are fine, others won't let more than one of us join at a time. We all have separate, valid CD keys... it's just some kind of server setting. I have been saving the ones that work for us as favorites.

Download Post   
DDM_TK421DS
Sr. Warrant Officer
Sr. Warrant Officer
5761 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:07 am   Post subject:  Re: MW:LL beta impressions... Back to top 

Sal I'm in on this game now.... I tried going back to WoW but it is still fail & boring Warhammers is ok but still starting to be a grind and very annoying with crashes and issues.................So..........

I am back to pilot a mech..........

Some questions.......

When are you on Sal? I can be on Fri & Sat nights & some during the week after 7:30 pm.

Do you host or do we need to coordinate on a specific server or random server?

My machine can prolly host games & let me play tooo?

I am having trouble with the text chat & using it, but I will be on Teamspeak so we I not need the text chat.

I believe there is a 3rd person view mode in Crysis. Is t not supported in the Mod?

Auger, sorry bud, but there were a lot of us who played in 3rd person & weren't takng advantage. It was there in Mercs to be used & used. I don't really see how it ruined anything. no biggie. I am now having to get used to being inside a cramped mech with limited visibility.

Sal i need a lot of Mech "training" with this new game mod. Targeting, torso alignment, grouping, etc...... Embarassed

Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:48 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

There is no third person, and they are prety firm on not ever adding it. I'm with Auger on that one.... third person pop-sniping ruined mech4 for me. Once it got started the whole game devolved into it... it was too much of a disadvantage not to use third person view. You shouldn't be able to bide behind a wall adn see over it in a Mech... you should be getting your torso shot to shit before you ever peek over the edge.

I can play just about any evening. I am usually on aroung 8pm+. I'll get on comms and keep an ear open for you guys. We usually just pick one of the populated servers. I prefer the 24 player to 32, it just gets sketchy in the bigger games. Some server I can't play in at the same time as Parker and Redeye, but I am not really sure what the deal is with that. It seems like servers will work some days and not others... some servers are fine every day... unfortunately I haven't found a good one that is always populated. It seems like the better servers are the ones we can't all join. It'spretty much every server that is paid hosting that has the issue... so all the ones that are packed every night. If we put 5 or 6 people in a server, it will fill up pretty quick from there anyway.

Download Post   
DDM_TK421DS
Sr. Warrant Officer
Sr. Warrant Officer
5761 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:59 pm   Post subject:  Re: MW:LL beta impressions... Back to top 

well. cool..
On the 3rd person.....I was thinking it would be nothing like mercs........just an outside ability to view but right at the top of the mech giving no real advantage fight wise. In mercs you were pretty high up over ur mech true. Im thinking for this game 1/2 the height of being in an armor suit on top of a mech or something?
But I can live without it.. Embarassed

Download Post   
DDM_TK421DS
Sr. Warrant Officer
Sr. Warrant Officer
5761 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:29 am   Post subject:  Impressions of this new MWLL mod Back to top 

Well, i played a couple hours last night & I was discouraged quite a bit.

Sure the mod looks good, the Mechs drive & work well, but there are major problems arising with this mod.

1. No mech lab & pre made shitty mech weapon loadouts.

2. LRM's are totally bugged & seemd to only hit target if u keep ur reticle on the target even tho they lock. LRM's are supposed to be fire & forget. They are not in this game.

3. A. u cannot dry fire lrm's at close range they just launch up in the air and go wherever.
B. AC5's do not fire repetivly. they fire once then u gotta wait a lifetime for them to reload or whatever.
C. PPC's do not seem to do anything really signifigant. especially to tanks & planes.

4. Real life "inertia" is great but in this game it is retarded. I shouldn't have to hit "x" to stop my mech, just slow down the throttle . this mechanic is querky.

5. There is going to be a real problem with map domination by 2-3 peps on one side eventually with the bs C=Bill thing. I think U should be able to take any mech or vehicle . From what I saw last night only those who get "lucky" kills get more cbills and thus get better machs/vehicles thus dominate the map/game. this is based on the fact that a tiny shittily pre loaded out Raven cannot overtake anything.

6. collision & getting stuck is a real problem. I cannot count how many times I was stopped by a pebble or was trapped under, between, or in rocks.

7. no joystick support what so ever. Ya I tried to read & comprehend the "joystick support" crap page, but I don't know WTF all that axis stuff is. My stick works other than torso twist.

8. It would be nice to have a complete Keyboard command list & what u need to change in the default setup in Crysis to change stuff. I would rather see a "new updated" Options menu for the mod.

9. Targeting is stupid. All u get is a hugh red square outline with nothing to aim at.

10.----------This mod is way too much like a FPS rather than a Mech Sim. To get 1 shotted (by a plane or tank) in a mech is stupid & not fun. I really felt like I was wasting my time last night in a FPS. I was playing Crysis & not Mechwarrior.

In my humble opnion this Mod was well intended, but is severly lacking & not at all a True Mechwarrior game. Not even close.
Without the ability to choose ur own weapon loadout at all, no real imbalance between tanks, planes & mechs, Map domination due to Cbill count, and crappy radar & targeting I give this game a 2 score out of 10.

I honestly would rather play Warhammer & deal with crashes.

Download Post   
DDM_TK421DS
Sr. Warrant Officer
Sr. Warrant Officer
5761 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:28 am   Post subject:  Re: Impressions of this new MWLL mod Back to top 

But...I am still going to give MWLL a chance & play it more and maybe get to know it better & like it. ?

Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:10 am   Post subject:  Re: Impressions of this new MWLL mod Back to top 

DDM_TK421DS wrote (View Post): › Well, i played a couple hours last night & I was discouraged quite a bit.

Sure the mod looks good, the Mechs drive & work well, but there are major problems arising with this mod.

1. No mech lab & pre made shitty mech weapon loadouts.

There will be a mechlab later. They have been saying for the last year that there would be no mechlab in the first beta release. I personally think it will ruin the game.... we'll all be rolling around boating the same two or three weapons soon enough. As it is now, there are four configs for each mech, and they Are actually pretty good. Sure, these configs would have sucked in mech4, but every weapon is usefully in this game... even flamers and machine guns are usefully weapons. I usually take a Madcat C with 2 CLBX20s, 2 CDualSSRM4 and 2 flamers. It's a great up close brawler and the flamers are great for dealing with battle armor.

2. LRM's are totally bugged & seemd to only hit target if u keep ur reticle on the target even tho they lock. LRM's are supposed to be fire & forget. They are not in this game.

I have not had any issues with LRMs. They ARE fire and forget. If you fire with a lock, tag or narc, they will hit the target. How many of your missiles hit will depend on the targets movement speed and direction, and AMS.

3. A. u cannot dry fire LRMs at close range they just launch up in the air and go wherever.

LRMs have a minimum range of 300 meters... like they should. If you fare at a target under that range, the missiles will hit the ground 300 meters in the direction you fired them. They aren't meant for infighting, since the last thing you want is 20 LRMs going off in your face. You can dry fire them, you just need to adjust the angle of your launchers by looking down. IMO, this is the first game to do LRMs right.
B. AC5's do not fire repetivly. they fire once then u gotta wait a lifetime for them to reload or whatever.

ACs and UACs all have a reload time, like they have in every Mech game... I think what you want are RACs, which are also in game.

C. PPC's do not seem to do anything really significant. especially to tanks & planes.

PPCs work fine... you do need to lead shoot them, but they do good damage, have a long range, moderate heat and no ammo. Great weapon, and again, they work like they have in every Mechwarrior game I have played. Planes are hard to hit with PPCs, but they aren't really an AA weapon.

4. Real life "inertia" is great but in this game it is retarded. I shouldn't have to hit "x" to stop my mech, just slow down the throttle . this mechanic is quirky.

I agree that the throttle is quirky... but it isn't inertia, it's just the way they have the throttle working. You can stop a mech on a dime, you just have to hit x to do it. Hopefully this will improve in time. It's just an issue with how vehicles were controlled in crysis.... when you let off the gas, but don't the brake, they roll to a stop... you are just seeing the same thing in a mech. With some practice, you'll realize you have all the same control of your mech as in previous games. It just takes an extra keypress to stop dead in your tracks.

5. There is going to be a real problem with map domination by 2-3 peps on one side eventually with the bs C=Bill thing. I think U should be able to take any mech or vehicle . From what I saw last night only those who get "lucky" kills get more cbills and thus get better machs/vehicles thus dominate the map/game. this is based on the fact that a tiny shittily pre loaded out Raven cannot overtake anything.

This is just the server settings. Some servers start with more money, some give you enough to buy an Atlas from jump street... I don't play on them because I prefer the standard rules. You get promoted fast, and there can only be one person at each of the top two ranks. It keeps the game from being all assault mechs, all the time. If that's your thing, there are servers running those settings. I think it really makes the game be more a battle sim... You start out the battle fighting as scout patrols and forward infantry, by the end everyone is in able to afford heavy or assault Mechs. On servers running the default income rates, you start with 20K. The heaviest tank in the game only costs 45k... you can get there after just a couple of kills. Only two people from each team spawn with enough money for assault mechs, but money can be shared between team members. Usually those top scoring guys aren't in mechs anyway. Servers can have all players start the match or spawn with any amount of money they set it to. I think most people just prefer to start out with the lower numbers. Kills aren't worth much at all in the game, it's all about damage done to enemy vehicles. If a pilot ejects, you get way more for finishing off his mech than for chasing him down and killing him.

As far as starting equipment goes, don't take the Raven. The raven is an electronics scout mech. It has ECM, BAP, TAG and C3 (which shares it's radar and target data with the whole team)... it's not for brawling, but is a very useful mech to have on the field. When I only have 20K I either load out the battle armor with weapons and high explosives or I take one of the AC tanks. You can really rack up points with the RACs or LBXACs

6. collision & getting stuck is a real problem. I cannot count how many times I was stopped by a pebble or was trapped under, between, or in rocks.

This is an issue. I wouldn't say it's all that bad though... it's only really a problem on clearcut with all the tree stumps and cut logs. (both of which would be pretty challenging to navigate in a mech). This is just beta, and they have already said what their fix was for this. They are going to change the part of the mech that clipping applies to. Now it's the legs, and not the torso... they are switching it. Then we won't have torsos clipping through each other and low obstacles won't stop a mech.

7. no joystick support what so ever. Ya I tried to read & comprehend the "joystick support" crap page, but I don't know WTF all that axis stuff is. My stick works other than torso twist.

yep.. joystick support is terrible. You can use a joystick, and you can copy of profile from their forums for just about every stick made. It's a bummer that you can't program it in-game... but the game this is a mod for wasn't written for joystick support. Even if you use a joystick, it's still just hitting A and D to turn. Vehicles in the game weren't designed to have analog steering. Maybe they can fix that, maybe they can't. personally.. I don't care. I am already comfortable with keyboard and mouse. I haven't used a joystick for years. I tried to go buy a new one and the carry one single joystick at Best Buy. It is apparently the input device of the 90's.

8. It would be nice to have a complete Keyboard command list & what u need to change in the default setup in Crysis to change stuff. I would rather see a "new updated" Options menu for the mod.

I posted the keyboard layout here a couple of times. It's in their forums if you do a search, or just look in our album. Not sure what you mean about "new update". The game tells you if you aren't running the newest version. It would be nice if they had an installer... but I don't consider unzipping a file to be that much of a hassle.

9. Targeting is stupid. All u get is a hugh red square outline with nothing to aim at.

what? Targeting is just like every other Mechwarrior game. You get a red box around the target, you get the targets name, mech type, distance and direction. Once you get close enough you get a damage display. What more should there be to the targeting mechanic than that?

10.----------This mod is way too much like a FPS rather than a Mech Sim. To get 1 shotted (by a plane or tank) in a mech is stupid & not fun. I really felt like I was wasting my time last night in a FPS. I was playing Crysis & not Mechwarrior.

You can't get one shotted in a mech. It takes at least two great shots to kill you... assuming they both hit cockpit. You can't take damage until the cockpit is destroyed. You can't core a mech in one shot and you can eject from the mech all way up until it explodes. There just isn't a one shot kill in this game. It works just like mech 4 in terms of tearing through armor before you damage internals. If you get legged, which still takes more than one shot, you can fight from the ground or punch out. Remember that if you punch out of a mech, you have blown the cockpit. if you get back in it, you are one shot away from dead. Flamers or PPCs are good to cook a pilot strolling around with no cockpit glass. If you shutdown first, you can hit F to just get out, without ejecting and blowing the cockpit. If you do ejects, just run back to base and shut down in a bay to repair the head armor.

In my humble opnion this Mod was well intended, but is severly lacking & not at all a True Mechwarrior game. Not even close.
Without the ability to choose ur own weapon loadout at all, no real imbalance between tanks, planes & mechs, Map domination due to Cbill count, and crappy radar & targeting I give this game a 2 score out of 10.

I couldn't disagree more. This game feels more like a simulation of Battletech combat to me than any Mechwarrior game I've ever played. The mechs have every feature or ability they had in Mech4.... you just control them differently. I know the mechlab is coming, but I don't miss it or really even look forward to it. Game balance and variety goes right out the window with it. I'll probably want to look for stock mech servers most of the time after it's available. Radar and targeting are exactly as they have been in mech4, mech3, mech2. I honestly have no idea what more you could want from those systems.

There isn't really supposed to be an imbalance between tanks, mechs and aerospace. They have 100 ton tanks in Battletech, to rival the heaviest mechs in firepower... Aerospace vs mech one on one is almost always won by the aerospace fighter in the fiction... and there are several examples of a single elemental or power armor taking down a mech. Make that a group of elementals and it's commonplace. It's a combined arms game... you can't make 3/4 of the unit types grossly inferior to the other one. It wouldn't be a very fun game if they did.

Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
Warrant Officer 1st Class
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:28 am   Post subject:  Re: MW:LL beta impressions... Back to top 

Been a while since I showed my face around here, but figured I'd drop by and see if you guys were running MWLL.
As I expected you guys have been busy with MWLL it seems, only started playing it myself about a week ago and really enjoy it so far.

There was mention of no joystick support, there are 2 ways to get joytick control

1. The easy way.

Download the MWLL Actionmapper and setup your joystick controls from there.

2. The hard way.

If you feel like messing around with the Actionmaps.xml file yourself and your eyes dont start bleeding from looking at all the "code" you can modify the controls to your own liking directly here.

For more info and how to do things check out the sections at the
MWLL forums Joystick 101 and the MWLL wiki Joystick setup

So far I have only been playing on public servers and just for fun.
Currently go by the nick of Bansheedragon if you see me around and feel like "teaming up".
I do have an official DDM_Dragonlord nick as well, but currently keeping that in the background for more "official" business
Just wanted to chip in with my 2 cents. Razz

Image 160

Death is but a door time is but a window, I'll be back
Download Post   
DDM_Demon
Kommandant
Kommandant
7698 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:57 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

good to see ya around DL

Download Post   
DDM_LuGz
Corporal
Corporal
4925 Points

Canada CA British Columbia
PostYou have posted in this forum: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:31 pm   Post subject:  Re: MW:LL beta impressions... Back to top 

I've been on too the last few weeks. Am always on Coms when I'm playing. (Well, almost always.)

Shocked Where IS everybody? I played with Sal one time. -That's it, week before last. Last weekend, nadda. Was on ALL day & almost ALL night Sat & Sun. Nobody around.

It's the best Mech game we have for now, 5 maps or not, so saddle up.

Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:20 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

What time are you on? I am usually around until about midnight central. I am either playing the game or working on it every night. I have to shuffle some files around and rename folders to play the beta, but I am available pretty much every night.

Add me on MSN messenger, mastersalvatoris@hotmail.com. Then you can let me know when you are playing.

Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:21 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

I play every now and then, but can honestly say I have not once seen any of the DDM guys around.

With the 3.x release the actionmapper is now part of the MWLL launcher and joystick support is better than ever.

Using the X52 myself and have it configured for use wit all assetes except BA.
Anyone feel like poking holes in some mechs/tanks/aeros, just drop a line on MSN and I'll jump in the cockpit wih you guys for some fun.
I bet we could wipe the floor with the other players there.

MWLL is the best mech game I have seen in all my years of MW gaming, and I agree with Auger on the part about 3rd person, that was just crap and I'm glad MWLL is only 1st person.

For those of you not playnig it, youre missing out on one helluva MW game.

Does DDM have a server going with MWLL, or is it too little support for it?

Image 160

Death is but a door time is but a window, I'll be back
Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic