Death Dealer Mercenaries

Star Citizen: Squadron 42

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
DDM_Dragonlord
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Warrant Officer 1st Class
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:19 am   Post subject:  Star Citizen: Squadron 42 Back to top 

They Said I was Dead
They Said Console Was the Future
Now They Say Mobiles And Tablets Are The Future
I Say To You, The Reports Of My Death Is Greatly Exaggerated
I Am A PC Game
And I Am A Space Sim

From the Creator of Wing Commander comes Star Citizen: Squadron 42 , Wing Commander's 21st-Century Successor.

Any of you guys here remember good old Wing Commander?
I sure do, it was the best space sim I ever played, and even though Freespace was a good close second, Wing Commander was always my favorite.
I played those games to death in my younger days and still play them on occasion.

On October 10th the Creator of Wing Commander, Chris Roberts, announced his vision to create the space sim he always wanted to make.

For years I have been waiting and hoping for a new space combat sim, and finally there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
If anyone else here misses the good old space sims, then heres your chance to help create a true next generation space sim.

Roberts Space Industries homepage with Chris Roberts comments on Squadron 42
Squadron 42 - Full Cinematic Trailer
The Big 1 hour announcement of Squadron 42 at Gamespot
Squadron 42 on Kickstarter
Ship Specifications

What you see in the trailer is not just some cinematic sequence, but actual ingame assets, the way they will be rendered ingame.

I found this purely by coincidence while looking at something totally unrelated to any form of computer gaming, and now find myself very excited.

I hope there are some old Space sim vets around here as well who will like this.
There are still hope for the good old PC games, not just the mediocre console ports you see so much of today.

Few Details about the game:

- Large persistent universe.
    - You can discover new jump points never before traveled.
    - If you discover a new jump point and navigate it safely, you get to name it.
    - Will have public server for online play with others.
    - Single player campaign that can be played Co-Op online or solo online/offline.
    - Support for private servers.
    - Support for modding, create your own ships and you may even get them added to the game
    - Micro updates, weekly or bi-weekly instead of annual.
    - F2P model instead of subscription, like GW2

Their main website will get an update in the next few days, so improvements are on the way.

The game is funded using crowd funding, there are no publishers involved at all, so we the players are the ones funding it.
You can pledge up to as much as $ 10.000.

As of 6.20 AM EST today, Oct 25th, the crowd funding has reached ins initial goal of $2.000.000(Kickstarter and main site combined), which was required to get other investors interested.

Everything mentioned in the stretch goals will be added eventually, but the more crowd funding the game gets, the more features we see in the game upon release.

This is a PC game through and through, it will not be supported for consoles period, besides the system requirements alone means that no current, and possibly even next gen console will be able to run it.
This is a open space sim, anybody expecting this to play like a regular mmorpg, or even eve, will be sorely disappointed.

Image 160

Death is but a door time is but a window, I'll be back
Download Post  No rating  

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic