Death Dealer Mercenaries

Sooo, this game is free now... Anyone interested?

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:20 am   Post subject:  Sooo, this game is free now... Anyone interested? Back to top 

Anyone want to check this game out now that it's free-to-play? We were thinking of all making new guys and leveling up with Zac, since he doesnt have a high level dood. I'm not even sure we can play our old charaters on a free account. No idea how any of it works, but I'm getting it set up now.

edit- You can log in to your high level doods. Even better, you will get turbine points for all your previously completed deeds... doesn't like like you get very much though. :/

Download Post  No rating  
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:37 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

It let me take over the kinship when I logged in, and we still have the guild hall. Unforutnately since no one in our kinship had logged in for over 600 days, the back maintenance is 13 gold. :0

Download Post   
DDM_Auger
Leutnant
Leutnant
5563 Points

USA US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:32 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sooo, this game is free now... Anyone interested? Back to top 

Yeah, I'll give it a try...
the freebie play starts on the 10th?? Correct??

[img][/img]
Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Yep. starts in two days, unless you already have an account. If you ever had a paid account, you can play starting today.

Download Post   
DDM_Auger
Leutnant
Leutnant
5563 Points

USA US Florida
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:23 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sooo, this game is free now... Anyone interested? Back to top 

nope, no previous account. Downloading the engine, now. What's the current patch??
Be playing Friday...

[img][/img]
Download Post   
DDM_LordShado
Kommandant General
Kommandant General
28337 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:57 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

Since it is an MMO, it will patch itself accordingly.

A nation of wolves run by sheep!
Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
Warrant Officer 1st Class
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

After getting a PM on the MWLL forums, I decided to see if I could revive my old account.
Its not like I got anything else to do these days, so playing LOTRO is as good as anything.
but reactivating my old account seems to be an exercise in futility, as either the pages only loaded partially, or they did not load at all and even gave me windows error messages saying the operation was aborted even though I did nothing.

Until a few months ago I played LOTRO on the EU servers, got a pretty well geared lvl 65 hunter there, but after Sal contacted me I figured why not give it a spin with DDM again, and will be going hunter again.
You will get a well versed hunter player with good knowledge on how to play it.

I read on the EU forums that some ppl had problems connection to the US site.
Now my connection has been wonky all day after my ISP did some maintenance earlier today, so maybe if I try tomorrow.

I could ofc just start a new account and start over.
I would need to get my hands on MoM and SoM as well though as my US account has not been active since SoA.

Image 160

Death is but a door time is but a window, I'll be back
Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:34 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

All you need to do is log in using your old info. All accounts should still be active.

Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:04 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

There are 2 problems with what youre saying.
1. Since the LOTRO site is down I cant DL the client to log in.
2. I dont remember my account info, and again since the site is down I cant get a hold of it.

I will just have to wait to the site is back up.

Image 160

Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:22 pm   Post subject:   Back to top 

hmmm.. I can see the website. http://www.lotro.com/

I can't find a download link though. :/

Here is a little chart on what is, and what isn't free.
http://www.lotro.com/free.php

Download Post   
DDM_Salvatoris
Master General
Master General
16567 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 pm   Post subject:  Re: Sooo, this game is free now... Anyone interested? Back to top 

coppied this from MMORPG.com.

If you ever paid to play the game, your account type is premium.

Characters played once while you where VIP are not subject to gold, bagspace and trait limits even after downgrading to Premium(cheaper to subscribe for a month than upgrade several chars from store). Looks like our existing charaters will not be subject to these limits. I know I have more bags, gold and traits that the limits show. I also still have a journal full of high-level quests that it looks like I can do, even though they are now paid content.

1. F2P, what does it mean incase of LotRO?
It means you get the gameclient as a free download at LotRO.com or LotRO-Europe.com as of 10.09.2010. It also means you can create an account for free and log into the game without being required to enter CC information or some other payment method. The European site and servers are run by Codemasters, and they have a multilingual client(English, French, German) and support. You can play on either or both, there is also a Russian, Korean, Japanese and Chinese site but i know nothing about them. Take lag due to distance into account when choosing where to play, though Europe to U.S. and vice versa is playable.

2. The Store.
Yes there will be a ingame store. It will use a currency called Turbine Points(or just Points in Europe), this currency can be bought via the usual means(CC, Paypal, C&B etc) or earned ingame by completing Deeds(around 5k TPs currently currently known to be earnable, per char). There is a wide variety of items offered, things like pretty and not so pretty cosmetic clothes, consumables from healing potions to one use items granting you rested XP etcpp. Most important though is that a huge pile of content in the game is sold via this store. The good news is that all content is a once per account sale, the bad news is that basicly all quests, instances and Deeds beyond the racial starting areas needs to be bought with points(as far as we know they are always combined in Questpacks, Skirmishes might be sold seperately).
To give you a rough idea, 1k points cost about 10-15$(I will update once i get accurate prices when the service goes live). An expansion costs between 1.8-2.5k points, a questpack for an area that always includes all quests and instances in that area(even raids) around 350-800. You earn between 3-15 TP per Deed. A normal Zone has between 100-245 TP worth of Deeds to do, instances will have less. Points through deeds get earned per character, but get into a account wide pool. Same Deeds on different chars still gives the full Points.
The store currently holds no High Quality gear that would usually be aquired in instances, nor are there plans to add it according to Turbine. Reputation based mounts will also not be included in the store. They sell you the content, you go there to farm the gear. Biggest advantage you currently get out of the store(and store alone) are health or powerpots not sharing a CD with the crafted ones.

3. Who gets what content?
3.1 Similarities - Everyone gets this/has to buy this

Character Slots
The base of charslots is 5 per server, it gets adjusted by MoM expansion(+2), Adventure Pack(+2) and Store bought slots(+1, up to 8x). So the maximum of characters per server would be 17 for VIP, 15 For Premium and 10 for Free players.

Storage
The base storage of your char is 5 Bags with 15 places each, Premium and Free players only get 3(upgradeable via TPs to base). You also get a bankvault with 30 spaces that can be upgraded 6 times with either ingame gold or TPs, the last two upgrades for a total of 8 are only available with TPs(150 space total). There is a option for a shared storage, its included with the Adventure Pack and has otherwise to be bought via the store. It has a base of 20 spaces which are accessible to all your characters on the server and can be upgraded multiple times via TPs(max 50 afaik).
Additionally the variaty of thrash loot has been decreased, and the stacksize increased.

Expansions and other Content
MoM - The Mines of Moria.
Full Expansion. Sold via ingame store or boxed in regular stores. Regular store version(complete edition) may 30 days of VIP access included. This gives access to Warden and Runekeeper classes, two more charslots, +10 levelmaximum, Legendary Items(LIs) aswell as several new zones and instances. Its a prerequisite for SoM.
SoM - Siege of Mirkwood
Smaller Expansion. Sold via ingame store or online. Gives access to a new zone, new instances, +5 levelmaximum, 6 new skirmishes and removes limits from Skirmish play.
Adventure pack
DLC. Sold via ingame store or online. Gives access to shared storage and +2 charslots.

3.2 Account Types
Independent of the store there are three access levels which are called VIP, Premium and Free that have a huge influence about what you get and how much its going to cost you to see/do something. Your account go through some or all of these phases, however once premium or VIP you can never become a free player again.

Free - You successfully created an account without spending money
You get 3 base Charslots less and can access all Quests, Instances and Deeds in the racial starting zones and play the Epic storyline up to level 50 without being forced to spend TP in the store. Content has to be bought by spendind TPs in the Store, but will be available accountwide forever. Major limits in regards to chatting up zones, sending tells to multiple people at the same time or using the auction house(buy only). Crafting, bagspace, max gold, traits and swift travel are restricted. Limit removals, charslots, bagspace and content can still be bought through earned TPs like a premium player. You do not get rested XP and can not do any form of Monsterplay. You also have the lowest priority in Server queues.
Notice: The act of buying TPs would make you premium. The spending of earned TPs however would not.

Premium - Your LotRO account was atleast once involved in earning Turbine/Codemasters money(at any point in time).
You get 2 base characterslots less. You have similar limits as a Free player, but they are usually less severe. Your priority in server queues is higher and you get customer support for 30 days following the purchase of TPs. The main difference between Free and Premium though is that the latter will have alot more TPs to spend getting what he wants, while a free player will have to ration his TPs in a way that improves his TP income(so he can get more content). Your quality of life can be increased greatly by spending as little as 10$ worth of TPs to get two zones to level in post starting zones.

VIP - Active monthly payment at Industry standard prices(i.e. around 10-15$ a month)
They get everything Subscribers get today, and will get things in the future todays Subscribers would have gotten if they hadnt become VIPs due to the F2P release. Read that again and take it literally. That means they generally do not have to buy Quests, Deeds or Instances in the Store, but it does not include any of the content or perks of the expansions. It does include a 500 turbine points per month stipend though. They are able to participate in Monsterplay on both sides. This is basicly P2P as we know and love(or hate) it.
Notice: Lifetimers are always and permanently VIPs.

3.3 Value
Premium and VIP payments run contraire to each other. The more content you buy, the less value you get for your VIP subscription. In an extreme case you would pay 15$ each month just for two character slots, rested XP, swift travel and monsterplay. The opposite extreme would be someone being a VIP for years and then dropping to a premium status with huge content holes(Moria and Mirkwood will likely at some point become medium level content, the latest zone enedwaith is already not included in them).
So do your math if you want to safe money.

4. Random Tipps, Tricks and Info
You can enter Zones without buying them, just not do Quests, Deeds or Instances in them. Does not apply to Zones contained in the Expansions.
Codemasters is still offering Lifetime abo @ around 200€ till F2P launch, Turbine noticed they would be paying people(in TPs) to play their game in the longterm and stopped selling Lifetime already.
Free/Premium membership goes from slightly better than Free to almost as good as Lifetime, the more time you spend twinking(or the slower you level) the more time you will be able to play without paying. Also if you level 3-5 chars through a zone the deeds can make the zone pay for itself(notice the clever amount of chars required, free players get 2 on a single server).
Characters played once while you where VIP are not subject to gold, bagspace and trait limits even after downgrading to Premium(cheaper to subscribe for a month than upgrade several chars from store).
TPs are account wide. If a Free player is persistant enough he can get all content ingame aswell as remove all gameplay related disadvantages by farming Deeds on multiple servers(Server priority, chat & auction limitations are afaik hardcoded into being not a VIP). If you think Lineage was not that bad you might find it acceptable.
Turbine wants to bring Monsterplay as a Store item to premium and free players in the future.
Expansions are particularly good bang for your buck.
There will be new Servers at launch. All accounts can play on all servers, but not cross region.

Download Post   
DDM_LordShado
Kommandant General
Kommandant General
28337 Points

USA
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:12 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

The client DL is in the community page.

A nation of wolves run by sheep!
Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Site is back up, I got the account info and client.
Downloading the game now, its a 10 GB file so will take some time.
Estimated 5 hours 30 min, and thats on a 16 Mb line.
My account is listed as premium, no surprise there as I did have a sub back in the days.
Once I get some more money I'll be getting the MoM and SoM expansions.

Image 160

Download Post   
DDM_Demon
Kommandant
Kommandant
7698 Points

USA US Texas
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:52 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

DL'ing now gunna set me and nick up with the game so we can all play together

Download Post   
DDM_Dragonlord
5628 Points

Norway NO Buskerud
PostYou have posted in this forum: Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:55 am   Post subject:   Back to top 

Its so long since I played on US, that I forgot what server DDM was on, anyone care to give me a heads up?

Image 160

Download Post   

Jump to:   

View previous topic View printer-friendly version Search Display number of posts for each poster in this topic Export topic thread to a text file View next topic