DDM_Auger
Subject:  My other hobby...still involves shooting stuff...
My 1955 Enfield rifle!!
All numbers match and carries the original British Government property cartouches, too.
54 years old...and shoots 3" groups at 100yds with iron sites!!

Entire post at Enfield Rifles dot COM

DDM_LordShado
Subject:  
Are the numbers put on there at manufacturing?

DDM_GateKeeper
Subject:  
DDM_LordShado wrote (View Post): › Are the numbers put on there at manufacturing?

Most guns are numbered at the manufacturer. It's kinda rare to see an old Enfield where it's still matched.

I'll hafta post some pics of my more interesting guns :twisted:

You have any other guns Auger? I've kinda turned into a gun nut over the last 10 years, and have quite a few.

DDM_LordShado
Subject:  
Hehe

DDM_GateKeeper
Subject:  Re: My other hobby...still involves shooting stuff...
If you're a military issue rifle collector, you learn early how quickly locks, stocks, and barrels are cannabilized to keep the weapon in service.

The British were one of the few armys that had the stocks and buttplates numbered. Most were happy with just the receiver, action, and barrel. I've never had the opportunity to actually fire the old Enfield, I doubt I could do much better grouping with an M-1. If the metal band (not sure what it's called) on the forestock that you run the strap through is intact, and matches the groove on the stock, you may have a little used civvy model. There is a website where you can cross-reference the rifle number. If it is a military issue Enfield, you can see a list of who it was issued to.

DDM_Auger
Subject:  Re: My other hobby...still involves shooting stuff...
DDM_GateKeeper wrote (View Post): › you may have a little used civvy model. There is a website where you can cross-reference the rifle number.

She's former military/government property, alright. All the numbers and cartouches match rifles manufactured by the Royal Ordinance Factory at Fazackerley, just outside Liverpool.
Never issued for actual military field service, though. She spent over 50 years in cosmoline and 'brown' wrapper and was imported into the U.S. and sold just that way to her first civilian owner about a year ago. I picked her up when his interests turned onto another path.

:)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: